Please login or register

General and Strategy Discussions
Moderated by GoSailing

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: SSSI-dont abandon the game, keep it alive w/patches
posted 10-29-03 10:32 PM EDT (US)   
I think many people on this site will agree that SSSI must patch some things...i really dont find any balance issues...except MAYBE MAYBE the hwarang, but gameplay definetely, they HAVE to do something about pathfinding.
also, any news on korea being nerfed so then theyll be only a little overpowered, not ubeatable xcept by an expert

[This message has been edited by Lckman99 (edited 10-30-2003 @ 02:41 PM).]

Replies:
posted 10-29-03 11:10 PM EDT (US)     1 / 15  
Dont even think pathing will be fixed....EE had same issue. With EE the devs showed up some then just poof they went away. I hope they dont do the same to this game.

As for pathing I just dont see it being fixed. Also I think balance wise afew things need tweaked like MG42s vs tanks.

posted 10-30-03 08:49 AM EDT (US)     2 / 15  
We aren't going away on *this* game. Patch will be coming to address many multiplayer issues, balance, etc...

Bob Scott
AI Developer
Stainless Steel Studios
posted 10-30-03 12:26 PM EDT (US)     3 / 15  
Good to know you guys will hang around

Loving the game so far! The singleplayer is ALOT of fun and the AI is fun lol. AI on Jester is jsut to funny. It builds tons of buildings but only afew military!

posted 10-30-03 02:37 PM EDT (US)     4 / 15  
I know I'm hard at work on the patch! =)

Problem with "pathfinding" is that it could mean anything. For instance, it might be units clipping, unit ai, the actual path-planning a unit does, mele combat, you tell it to go here and it gets lost, collisions/pushing other units, etc.

Here's an example, lets say you tell a unit to kill a building.. he starts walking towards it.. the building dies, the unit stops moving.

While most would say "pathfinding", this example would fall under unit AI since it was a decision made by the unit to stop walking along its current path because the building died.

What this means is, its nightmarishly hard to get real details on what the problems are. Our pathfinding engine 99.999% of the time finds a route to its destination if one can be found. So when someone says "pathfinding problem", I have no idea what problem they are refering too

So when you want pathfinding improvments, please be specific to "units can't make it to destination", or "stop fighting", or "push each around", etc... that kind of info helps us a ton!!!

posted 10-30-03 02:41 PM EDT (US)     5 / 15  
instead of being a troll ill be constructive, major, units get clumped, they choose odd and uneffecient ways to a destination screwing up your strategy
posted 10-30-03 05:58 PM EDT (US)     6 / 15  
Units bump into eachother alot and cause them to turn around and reroute. Thats number one gripe
posted 10-30-03 06:47 PM EDT (US)     7 / 15  
I think my only real issue with path finding, is not that they don't get to their destination, but that they do not stick together when getting there. This is only an issue when they are attack moving as quite often the will split up into smaller groups (i.e. taking different routes around trees and mountains) reducing their effectiveness if they run into enemy units and leaving them susceptible to ambush.
Is it possible to attack-move with way points? If so then this may not be much of an issue and I would rather see patches that address balance issues and improvements with the multi player lobby.
posted 10-31-03 12:01 PM EDT (US)     8 / 15  
If there's only one thing to be addressed in this fantastic and absorbing game, then it should be to increase the AI aggression. I've completely cuffed the game on level 10 deathmatches (tiny plains map) and am now winning on level 7 every time I play. It's fun getting the win, but I'm dominating the game far too quickly! It shouldn't be this easy on a 'hard' setting. Anyone else finding this?
posted 10-31-03 12:08 PM EDT (US)     9 / 15  
"Pathfinding" issue:

When moving Chinese war camps towards a destination, units going to the same destination will often end up bumping into the warcamp, and not walk around. This is obviously way slower than stepping around manually. Imo units should "slide by/around" slower units much better.

posted 10-31-03 12:12 PM EDT (US)     10 / 15  
Bugs I know about on EE:

2 heroes bug.
(don't know many bugs because I don't play EE.)

Bugs I know about on AoC:
1. Always cloaked ghosty bug.
2. Useless capitol bug.
3. All players crash to desktop - time=at players choosing.
4. always fanatism.
5. Unlimited range with tempest.
6. Priest towers need to cost more, everyone hates them.
7. 2 heroes bug.

These bugs are becoming more known, and becoming more commonly used in games!
I have emailed sierra the problem twice in 6 months, both times saying they have forwarded the information to SSSI...

Thats all the ones I know, there's bound to be more...
SSI, make a patch before everyone stops playing AoC!!

posted 10-31-03 06:17 PM EDT (US)     11 / 15  
I suspect a request for an AOC patch should be directed to Sierra, as SSSI did not develope AOC.

In Total Annnihilation, units like a group of tanks would all follow the same exact path when travelling, for the most part, even forming a line as a real armor column would. I always liked that, execpt there was no way to require a group to move at the pace of the slowest selected unit. I always miss this function in games today.

this didn't work well during a firefight of course but when travelling long distances, it was much easier to manage their movement.

A fool shows his annoyance at once but a prudent one overlooks an insult. -Proverbs-
posted 10-31-03 07:19 PM EDT (US)     12 / 15  
I think something that needs work is when you select a group of units and tell them to go somewhere it would be nice if they all took the same path instead of some walking around the forest.

^^ www.pro-ladder.com msg me if you want to set up your own league.
posted 10-31-03 10:10 PM EDT (US)     13 / 15  
I'd love to drag select an area and just get military units instead of a group of workers too. Very handy for those last ditch defences.
posted 11-01-03 11:15 AM EDT (US)     14 / 15  
^^ RON had this feature and it was very useful. There was a button (maybe ALT??) that if you held down whilst dragging you selected everything, but if you just dragged normally you got military only.

! seilims eht rof elims
posted 11-01-03 01:35 PM EDT (US)     15 / 15  
yah dreadnaught, i agree, its very annoying when u want to attack so u select your army and then half way to the enemy base u notice some citizens came with u. Yah maybe if u hold down alt or ctrl u can select JUST military. That would be great!
Empires Heaven » Forums » General and Strategy Discussions » SSSI-dont abandon the game, keep it alive w/patches
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Empires Heaven | HeavenGames