Moderated by GoSailing

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: A Small Peek in Developer's Mind
posted 07-22-04 06:13 PM EDT (US)   
Found this article from Penny Arcade:
http://www.joeuser.com/index.asp?c=1&AID=21895&u=0

It's written by the creator of Galatic Civilizations, sort of a Civ3 but in Space game. I didn't play it too much, but that is beside the point. First article I've seen where the developer is a lot more heated about the greed in publishing companies than fans who download warez. Just for anyone who likes this kind of "insider" reading like me.

Grex, Imhotep, Jaded Knights, Punks, University, Glows, Facility, Trade Center, Stainless Steel Studios.

Former Seraph & Angel
My Twitter, i.e. don't bother
Learning Korean Language
Free Rice
Replies:
posted 07-22-04 06:37 PM EDT (US)     1 / 5  
It would be nice if we could remove the CoC for this particular thread so I could deliver a better comment on this piece.

Quoted from This comes from the comments on the article:

On top of the cost of being a PC gamer, there's the uphill battle we're constantly fighting against the companies we buy games from. From CD protection schemes that don't work, to publishers simply refusing to support a title if it didn't meet some magic number for sales, we are treated like the enemy. If you make a game that is a flop at first due to bugs and some bad design choices (like Master of Orion 3), you CAN still salvage your investment by putting out further patches and try and fix the problems that were there. In the case of MoO3, we got ONE patch and then the publisher and developer vanished off into the mist, refusing to even acknowledge the game they put out. And they honestly wonder why it didn't sell. Bad Game + 0 post-launch support = no sales. They tossed us a cold moldy pizza that should have been delivered a few years ago, and then they told us to get lost.

This is essentially Empires in a nutshell. Empires failed to meet the magic tally number that Activision and SSSI were looking for to continue supporting the game, so they pulled the plug.

[This message has been edited by iNtRePiD (edited 07-22-2004 @ 06:45 PM).]

posted 07-23-04 02:54 AM EDT (US)     2 / 5  
I'd like to understand the, "Don't make people have to go hunting for cracks in the first place" theory.

If cracks are easily availible, how does that really cut down on piracy and make it easy for the paying gamer?

Do CD checks really damage the CD?

...............(\ /)................
..............(^.^)...............
.............<( < )...............
...............(/ (/................
...All American Bunny.....
posted 07-23-04 11:59 PM EDT (US)     3 / 5  
No, CD checks don’t normally damage the CD unless you have particles on your CD drive. In which case, any CD inserted would be damage regardless of CD checks.

I'd like to state my opinions as a gamer, regardless of my title as Angel: CD protections are a hassle for the consumer. Some may compare inserting CDs to play games equal to console games, but this is entirely untrue. Unlike console games, PC games are installed. There is usually absolutely NO need for the CD (except music, usually). This is why CD cracks work, because the CD is unnecessary.

How to stop CD cracks? Simple: go the console route while taking advantage of the hard drive. Store vital data on the CD and have the game load from it. There are ways around this too, but it's a step forward.

About the anecdote with the pizza: I wonder why some game publishers and developers don't have the same business model as Pizza Hut, Dominos, or just about every store, where "customers are always right".

Restaurants make it a priority that the customer is satisfied, as do most other businesses. Why is it different with some game companies?

I fail to understand how a company would slander its own name to make a quick buck. Reputation is everything when it comes to selling products. One deliberate mistake will usually ruin a company when it comes to future products. So why run the risk? How does any amount of money made off a single product compare to money made off a line of successful products?

About the “perfect storm” of bad habits: The first three are just pet-peeves. Only the last one is important. When a game goes gold, I expect it to be fully playable and bug tested. While patches that add content and fixes are important and welcomed, I expect my game to be 100% playable before then.

Angel AzN | News Editor Lead EH, HeavenGames LLC
"Damn the torpedoes! Full speed ahead!" -Admiral Farragut, Civil War Battle of Mobile Bay
HeavenGamesEmpires Heaven | 3DMark05 Score3DMark03 Score | WearYELLOW
posted 08-10-04 05:33 PM EDT (US)     4 / 5  
Well you know the multiplayer for most games, is only available for people who actually bought the game. If you pirated it, you won't be able to play the multiplayer. Simple as that.

CD checks are only useful for the multiplayer portion of the game. They make sure you actually went out and bought the game, and you aren't using a cd key that 100 other people are using.

Look at Steam. If you want to play any of the games, guess what you need a valid cd key that nobody else is using. Valve was very smart with this, nobody can really pirate their game and play any of the MP, or MP mods like cs, or dod without a valid cd key.

Visit Empires Revolution Today!
posted 08-11-04 10:52 PM EDT (US)     5 / 5  
It's a really sad mentality for Publishers. It is ultimately going to kill any kind of innovation, as it will be deemed too "risky". Formulaic gaming in order to sell x number of copies. Fortunately, there still are developers and publishers out there that are successful and/or are against this mentality (www.battlefront.com, www.garagegames.com

I started a brief thread on this last November:

http://empires.heavengames.com/cgi-bin/forums/display.cgi?action=ct&f=3,201,,all

Empires Heaven » Forums » Community Forum » A Small Peek in Developer's Mind
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Empires Heaven | HeavenGames