You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

General and Strategy Discussions
Moderated by GoSailing

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: The Year of the RTS Game?
posted 02-04-06 01:40 PM EDT (US)   
2006 is looking to be the year of the Real Time Strategy game. Honestly, I have never seen so many high caliber releases slated for one year. Apparently I am not the only one who has made this assessment. Andrew Park, one of Gamespot’s Senior Editors, and well-known RTS fanatic, recently wrote an article in Gamespot’s Freeplay section about all of the RTS titles that are slatted for this year. The list is staggering.

This year we are expecting to see the release of Battle for Middle Earth II, Star Wars: Empire at War, Rise of Legends, Company of Heroes and Medieval Total War 2. Also coming this year is Midway’s title Rise and Fall: Civilizations at War. Considering the sheer number of stellar looking RTS games coming out this year, Park can be forgiven for missing this innovative title. Here is a short excerpt from Park’s article entitled Real-Time Strategy Watch ’06:

I'm sure you've already heard people complaining, sometimes in these Freeplay columns, about how certain types of games seem to be stagnating and doing the same thing over and over. Yet the future looks bright for real-time-strategy games, because many of the top development studios in the biz are hard at work taking these games in different directions. And surprisingly enough, they all look good.

What do you think? Is 2006 the year of the RTS game, or are we simply looking at the release of a large series of rehashes?
Replies:
posted 02-04-06 02:20 PM EDT (US)     1 / 11  
Please don't remind me about starwars. I've vowed never to touch no more franchise after the last 3...err...films(!). Yet if it has an editor, I may be tempted to resist daylight for several months and release an epic. aaaarrrrhhhhhhhhh!

Company of heroes. Oh yes. Moody's men in that engine! wowzer! Cinimatic AND level editor the last time I watched a gamespot vid. Let's hope with them advertising it, they have put some effort into it.

Should be a good year then.

posted 02-04-06 04:58 PM EDT (US)     2 / 11  
Rise and Fall, I was looking forward to it, but it was shut down, and some half rate comopany is picking it up with their half rate graphics and ugly candy colors.

BFME 2: might be in me collection.
EaW: Maybe...doubt it tho.
RoL: probably
CoH: If my computer can run it
Warhammer: Maybe...if I like warhammer.
And what else?

oh...*dramatic drumroll* M2:TW YEAH YEAH YEAH ALL THE FRICKIN WAY!

posted 02-05-06 00:02 AM EDT (US)     3 / 11  
RTS this year looks great but that's because RTS sucks on console .

If you are interested in a great editor then check out RoL... it has the best editor i've ever seen...

Most RTSs listed will make great single player games but in terms of online and online community I don't see much. RoL will probably be the best of all if the balance is right.

We'll see soon enough

TGE

TGE's RTS Blog, news, thoughts, and advice on RTS gaming

Able Company (my job)

"I've kicked more ass on accident than most people have on purpose"

posted 02-05-06 02:16 AM EDT (US)     4 / 11  

Quote:

If you are interested in a great editor then check out RoL... it has the best editor i've ever seen...

The editor sounds pretty good. The cinematic editor sounds a lot like the one for Empires, and the terrain option are reminiscent of Empire Earth.

Quote:

Most RTSs listed will make great single player games but in terms of online and online community I don't see much. RoL will probably be the best of all if the balance is right.

Really? The online community for RoN was fairly weak if I recall, and the single and online play really wasn’t anything to write home about.

posted 02-05-06 01:13 PM EDT (US)     5 / 11  
Downloaded the demo for empire at war, pretty cool, I love the cinimatic mode in space battles. Maybe I'll pick it up in a few months on ebay for $15

BFME2 looks awesome, another wait for ebay game though

.::|Empires|::.
.::| The Battle for Berlin|4.6|Trench Warfare|4.4|::.

"I fear we have awakened a sleeping giant and filled him with a terrible resolve."-Admiral Yamamoto, Commander of the Japanese Fleet attacking Pearl Harbor.
posted 02-08-06 06:59 PM EDT (US)     6 / 11  

Quote:

Rise and Fall, I was looking forward to it, but it was shut down, and some half rate comopany is picking it up with their half rate graphics and ugly candy colors.

Where did you get that information? True, SSSI shut down, but Midway has their own studios in CA and they are finishing the game. I spoke with their reps in January and they confirmed that none of the original art was going to be changed. In fact, the only thing they're doing is tweaking the balance and squashing all the bugs in the game. Everthing else is supposed to be the same.

Quote:

Midway's highly-anticipated real-time strategy game that puts players in the role of some of history's greatest generals, is now scheduled for release in June 2006. The game's development is now being led internally out of the Midway San Diego studio, with a group that includes game industry veterans from the teams that developed "Heroes of Might and Magic™" and "Lords of Everquest™."

Are you referring to recent screenshots or just heresay?

Total War Heaven Former Angel Cherub and Long-Time Contributor

[This message has been edited by Chonaman (edited 02-08-2006 @ 07:04 PM).]

posted 02-08-06 07:19 PM EDT (US)     7 / 11  
I’ll be going to Midway’s Gamers Day on the 28th in LA for Heavengames. So I should be able to put to rest any accusations that the games graphics have been tampered with.

[This message has been edited by Intrepid (edited 02-08-2006 @ 07:20 PM).]

posted 02-11-06 01:03 AM EDT (US)     8 / 11  
BFME2 brings LOTR to life like never before but simple build order gameplay and unit spamming will hurt online play, not to mention the gamespy lobby if they decide to keep the one they have most people will not be pleased.

SW:EaW looks to be an AWESOME single player game with great graphics and the makings of a great campaign but if you want to play online you will basically have to give up all the SP goodness and settle for basically a half game. I will be buying this title for the simple fact it's SP game will be awesome.

R&F seems like it will be great for players that like long games where building up heros and economy>everthing else. I love the idea of R&F but after going to a second developer I really have a hard time seeing that balance/bugs will be low once the game goes gold. Time will tell but the heros seem too OP to be good for online play. Not sure going on past experience with RTS/fps games that tried to make things work... they all fail.

Rise of Legends while some parts of the game are weak (some squad based fighting, gamespy, potential balance issues) the game seems to be the best of this season's breed. Having played all of the games except for R&F I am very extremely skeptical that any other titles will be as polished/well thought as Rise of Legends.

I am always looking into new RTSs and which will make the best games to play online/base a community off of. All the games listed will make fine communities but I am allowed opinion on which I think will make the best and to me it's RoL. Best editor, best graphics, most original story, and best multiplayer lobby = a top choice for me.

I like all the games I listed and will play all of them online (look for me I'm the only "TheGoodEvil" online") so keep an eye out for me in each game

TGE

TGE's RTS Blog, news, thoughts, and advice on RTS gaming

Able Company (my job)

"I've kicked more ass on accident than most people have on purpose"

[This message has been edited by TheGoodEvil (edited 02-11-2006 @ 01:05 AM).]

posted 02-11-06 01:55 AM EDT (US)     9 / 11  

Quote:

I am always looking into new RTSs and which will make the best games to play online/base a community off of. All the games listed will make fine communities but I am allowed opinion on which I think will make the best and to me it's RoL. Best editor, best graphics, most original story, and best multiplayer lobby = a top choice for me.

As is everyone.

Out of the games I mentioned the only one I have actually played so far is Star Wars Empire at War (I downloaded the demo just this night), to put it bluntly, I was not impressed. The game is mired by a poor control scheme, bland graphics and dull gameplay. If the same game were released, but just as a generic sci fi game rather then a star wars themed game, it wouldn’t be garnering any of the attention that it is now.

posted 02-12-06 07:22 PM EDT (US)     10 / 11  
posted 02-12-06 11:57 PM EDT (US)     11 / 11  
Some of these look interesting. Not delved to deep yet, but it doesn't suprise me there is no mention of editors (in the blurb). Though, as we no, it's not a major selling point. Oh, the day cometh when it is!

[This message has been edited by mitch1971 (edited 02-12-2006 @ 11:57 PM).]

Empires Heaven » Forums » General and Strategy Discussions » The Year of the RTS Game?
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Empires Heaven | HeavenGames