You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Scenario Design Discussions
Moderated by GoSailing

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.46 replies, Sticky
Empires Heaven » Forums » Scenario Design Discussions » Dedicated Downloads Reviewer
Bottom
Topic Subject:Dedicated Downloads Reviewer
« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
Talon Karrde
posted 01-20-06 05:14 AM EDT (US)         
Hi ya'll, we have a dedicated downloads reviewer in town--me (as far as I know right now ).
This thread is here for those who wish to request a review on something in the downloads section, preferably campaigns/sp scenarios rather than mp scenarios or recorded games, but I'll do my best for all of it. I'll also do my best to go through as many campaigns and scenarios without direction on my own, but if you want to see something reviewed quicker than 'sure sometime', just post here.
I'll try to do at least one review a week(end).
also, if possible, could you provide a link for the work so that I don't have to go digging around for it (yes, I'm lazy).

Reviewed recently
D-Day V2.02
Fallen City

Bah.

[This message has been edited by Talon Karrde (edited 05-20-2006 @ 02:06 AM).]

AuthorReplies:
Mk101
posted 01-20-06 01:44 PM EDT (US)     1 / 46       
Could you review the prologue-Birth of Arthur?Thanks in advance
Talon Karrde
posted 01-20-06 02:46 PM EDT (US)     2 / 46       
downloading now

/edit: done

Bah.

[This message has been edited by Talon Karrde (edited 01-20-2006 @ 03:38 PM).]

TheRealSamFisher
posted 01-20-06 09:25 PM EDT (US)     3 / 46       
Blascopone had a 4-part campaign about Stalingrad. Could you review that?

Sincerely,
The Real, Authentic, Not Fake and, especially, The coolest Sam Fisher

[This message has been edited by TheRealSamFisher (edited 01-20-2006 @ 09:25 PM).]

Talon Karrde
posted 01-21-06 00:39 AM EDT (US)     4 / 46       
I'll start downloading it all now

/edit: reviewed first part

Bah.

[This message has been edited by Talon Karrde (edited 01-21-2006 @ 02:29 AM).]

Talon Karrde
posted 01-27-06 11:17 AM EDT (US)     5 / 46       
reviewed parts 2-3 of Stalingrad, will work on the last part soon. any more requests?

Bah.
mitch1971
posted 02-16-06 01:55 PM EDT (US)     6 / 46       
moody's men is hoping for a review.

click 'scenario' in sig.

Talon Karrde
posted 02-18-06 12:40 PM EDT (US)     7 / 46       
I'll have at it as soon as I can (probably next weekend)

Bah.
Talon Karrde
posted 02-24-06 12:11 PM EDT (US)     8 / 46       
done

truly an excellent scenario
next on my list is your newest thing, 'trepid

Bah.
mitch1971
posted 02-24-06 08:04 PM EDT (US)     9 / 46       
Thanks for the review. Excellent review, balanced and well observed. I thank you for that, especially being one of the first reviews to be read by a new player.

I completely understand the short falls and I'm in the process of refining them.

As for guys counter attacking you, the more grenades you use the more chance they will follow you as you retreat. I only added it to the grenade trigger but could easily add it to react with smoke too. I thought that was an equal balance.

As for the additional comments on rain. There is a graphics effect of splashes around your men only. With the engine already at bursting I didn't want to burden it anymore, so to compensate I added a rain audio file with thunder that starts from drizzle to full rain and back to drizzle again (it's about 2:30 long) I don't know why you didn't hear it. I know some of the background music is recorded lower to just add ambiance and the grenade stuff is louder. I did crush the rain sample a bit(because of the previous upload limit) and it may have lost some of its strength in doing so. But testing it before, 7 out of ten times you pick rain on it usually starts with rain and the sample is heard. Like I said, though, chucking grenades and such might drowned out the rain sample a bit through the game.

can you also give me a heads up on what parts of the map that weren't up to standard of the rest of the map.

You also say story/intructions you felt were 'lame'. It's the only word in an otherwise great review that is choking me. Could you expand on that so I can at least understand from what direction you are coming from.

Thanks again. mitch.

[This message has been edited by mitch1971 (edited 02-24-2006 @ 09:57 PM).]

Talon Karrde
posted 02-25-06 01:22 AM EDT (US)     10 / 46       

Quote:

As for guys counter attacking you, the more grenades you use the more chance they will follow you as you retreat/q]
ah-hah, that'd be it then. I didn't actually use grenades (playing it on easy, didn't need to). I'll replay with grenades and see what kind of a difference it makes.

Like I said, though, chucking grenades and such might drowned out the rain sample a bit through the game.

well, like I said, I didn't actually use grenades
and there was rain in the beginning (that's how I noticed the fluctuating), but there wasn't a sound.

Quote:

can you also give me a heads up on what parts of the map that weren't up to standard of the rest of the map.

the actual trainyard itself seemed to be just two single terrains (dirt and that woodbox thing). When compared to all the environment around it, it seemed kind of lackluster. I think just adding in one more terrain would fix it though (I'd suggest grass dirt, as that seems to blend fairly well with dirt).

Quote:

You also say story/intructions you felt were 'lame'. It's the only word in an otherwise great review that is choking me. Could you expand on that so I can at least understand from what direction you are coming from.

um. woah. I rewatched the introduction, and its not at all how I remembered it. only one of my criticisms of it is still valid, the presentation is kind of not so good. Instead of random shots of the troop concentration around the colonel, how about maybe shots of the lost squad (but nothing that actually reveals anything about them).

I'm replaying it now with grenades, but yeah. story/instructions got hurt because I misremembered it. sorry about that one, my fault.

Bah.
Talon Karrde
posted 02-25-06 01:41 AM EDT (US)     11 / 46       
re-reviewed it, balance bumped up by .4 and story/instructions by .3. you've got a 4.7 now.

I don't know how I managed to misremember some of the things, but sorry again

Bah.
mitch1971
posted 02-25-06 01:50 AM EDT (US)     12 / 46       
Cheers for the reply, Talon.

I am making changes already.

The rain concerns me, no sound. Hmmm?! I hope others can confirm this who have played it. Anyone? I recently tested my copy and it works.

Concerning the story about the lost squad. They were to be played out in another scenario, and didn't (and don't!) feature in this one. They weren't displayed because I technically didn't know what situation they were going to be in, later. Sorry.

'played it on easy, didn't need to [use grenades]'

How did you counter the pills? smoke?

or the tanks?

Also, on any level there is at least 100+ infantry to deal with at the start! Once the engineer is found, the number of support mentioned in the 'difficulty chart' is ADDED, not facing just that amount from the start, and yes these later ones do attack you forceably. I would start using grenades as soon as . I had this written in the instructions, but somewhere along the line it got deleted. I'll fix it.

This might be the reason you had to heal for quite a while. Use the grenades, take out the strongest enemies first, etc.

'story/instructions got hurt because I misremembered it. sorry about that one, my fault'

No worries, give it a few more plays, get to grips with it - its gets better once you become more fluid with it - and if you change your mind you can alway change your score if you feel (if thats possible on the site?)

Thanks anyways.

EDIT: got to it before me, thanks for the change.

Damn I missed a 'Gerry' I thought I got them all. Yes, I had to spell check it myself. I'll look into that rain business, though, that does concern me.

[This message has been edited by mitch1971 (edited 02-25-2006 @ 01:57 AM).]

Talon Karrde
posted 02-25-06 02:01 AM EDT (US)     13 / 46       

Quote:

How did you counter the pills? smoke?

or the tanks?

magic
I suppose what I meant to say was that I didn't use grenades on more mundane concentrations of enemies

Quote:

Also, on any level there is at least 100+ infantry to deal with at the start! Once the engineer is found, the number of support mentioned in the 'difficulty chart' is ADDED,

ah. yeah, putting that somewhere in the instructions might be a good thing, I was under the impression that that's all there was

nice to see that it'll get even better though

Bah.
Talon Karrde
posted 02-25-06 05:35 AM EDT (US)     14 / 46       
yo, another problem. I don't hear the grenade ready sound either. (but I did notice the rain splashes, they're quite small and unnoticeable )

Bah.
mitch1971
posted 02-25-06 03:08 PM EDT (US)     15 / 46       
REASON EDITED: hopefully fixed issues. And didn't want to clutter this thread with loads of questions from me, cause I have another Talon.

Can you confirm, Talon, (if you've downloaded the updated Moody's men), whether the sounds are now playing for you? Lil gunner has confirmed it, would just like another affirmative so I can relax.

Thanks again, mitch1971.

[This message has been edited by mitch1971 (edited 03-02-2006 @ 03:14 PM).]

Talon Karrde
posted 05-19-06 09:16 AM EDT (US)     16 / 46       
wheeee, I've finished the IB diploma!
which means that now I have all the time in the (or, at least a 5-month summer, minus time when I'm doing other things ) to review.
so I've started with the recently announced D-Day scenario, which I just finished reviewing

Bah.
Talon Karrde
posted 05-20-06 02:07 AM EDT (US)     17 / 46       
and another one is reviewed. all hail the first scenario to make the top-rated section, Fallen City!

Bah.
ilovEDOTMw
posted 06-09-06 01:35 PM EDT (US)     18 / 46       
dude please review any of my 1812 scn's that are in the download section, ty
Talon Karrde
posted 06-10-06 02:00 AM EDT (US)     19 / 46       
k, I'll get to it in the next couple of days

Bah.
ilovEDOTMw
posted 06-11-06 01:21 PM EDT (US)     20 / 46       
ok thank you
Talon Karrde
posted 06-12-06 02:48 AM EDT (US)     21 / 46       
reviewed part 1. it wasn't even about the war of 1812, what was up with that? also, part 2 isn't a valid scenario, it got corrupted or something on your end.

Bah.
ilovEDOTMw
posted 06-12-06 09:06 AM EDT (US)     22 / 46       
alrigth i'll upload again sometime today and download the my 1812 version, and thx for the review, lol you do know that was my first scn right?
Talon Karrde
posted 06-12-06 10:57 AM EDT (US)     23 / 46       
yup. don't worry, my first ones were pretty god awful, just don't let it discourage you.

Bah.
Rotaretilbo
(id: Brandon Rebuga)
posted 06-12-06 02:58 PM EDT (US)     24 / 46       
I can say with confidence it is better than anything I ever put out. This is partially do to my incompetence as a scn designer and partially due to the fact that I haven't put anything out yet...

"Also, I'm no clearer on what WIFOM is really, although I gather it's something to do with Thymole being gay..." -Sassenach
"I don't lie in my claims and I don't intend to." -WeeMicky
"OH MY GOD A DINOSAUR" -Peter Fallon
RTEHistDesign
posted 06-22-06 11:04 PM EDT (US)     25 / 46       
I know this reviewer is mostly for rating scenarios, however I believe the recorded game rating on the link below should be removed as there is no viable reason other than pure bias that a rating of 5 was given. Intrepid if you could please remove the rating I would appreciate it.

http://empires.heavengames.com/downloads/showfile.php?fileid=2401

Thanks,

RTE

« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Empires Heaven | HeavenGames