You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Scenario Design Discussions
Moderated by GoSailing

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.13 replies
Empires Heaven » Forums » Scenario Design Discussions » New Map?
Bottom
Topic Subject:New Map?
CptIronMike
posted 05-09-09 09:03 PM EDT (US)         
OK so my Zhukov campaign map is a little bit stalled and we need some new scenarios (well said, Jocamar). Therefore I think we should all try to collaborate on one campaign/scenario for either multi or single player use.

Phase one of this collaboration is brainstorming. So, does anyone have any ideas on what type of scen we should create?

Personally I'd like to see a Nazi Zombie MP map, which would be really cool and really hard.

Alternatively we could go for some sort of capture the flag MP, a fantasy RPG, etc.

Basically we what we need here are ideas, so get 'em out.

PS: Only serious ideas (Ambitious one's are OK, but not crazy/imposiible)

Production chief (and currently sole member) of Jumpdrive Studios scenario design squad. Currently not accepting applications - yet.

"Yeah, we get it, but we don't really, like, get it."
AuthorReplies:
jocamar
posted 05-11-09 02:21 PM EDT (US)     1 / 13       
First, some simple scenarios would be better to get the downloads section up and running again. After that more people may begin contributing.

Something simple and fun would be build and destroy scenarios with secondary quests. Where you build your base and try to destroy to cpu/oponent while performing secondary quests that give you fame/gold/troops/points at the end of the game. It shouldn't be too hard to make. You could even create a map with the random map generator and then modify it.

After we have some scens we could concentrate on something more ambitious. I'm still working on Angoville but I could help with that as well.
CptIronMike
posted 05-13-09 06:47 AM EDT (US)     2 / 13       
Ok B&D is good. Next we should get story and/or time period info. Are you thinking WWs or Medieval, Imp, or Gunpowder age.

Personally I think that we shouldn't do the World Wars because there's a million of those :-/.

Maybe make a large map with the enemies base in the center surrounded by rings of strong defenses. You stat out with a small army and can increase it through normal means (ei with villies) and complete side quests to gain more troops and resources (and maybe even special abilities). How does that sound?

Production chief (and currently sole member) of Jumpdrive Studios scenario design squad. Currently not accepting applications - yet.

jocamar
posted 05-13-09 10:59 AM EDT (US)     3 / 13       
You should have several quests from the time period that would give you certain bonuses. I've thought about some:

Rescue a downed pilot - Reveals map
Rescue POW's - They join you
Help some farmers - They give you gold
Capture a warehouse - Gives you some abilities
Destroying some AA's - Allows you to call planes or air strikes
Destroying enemy field artillery - Prevents enemy from firing on your base

Each quest should give fame points which would sum up on a final score which counted time spent, kills or losses and the points.

I also have a scenario partially done that I have abandoned. The player controlled a group of men that was helping the allied npc defend against waves of attract for a set time. For that he could do optional quests that would help him. I have that scenario on hold and I'm not planning on finishing it for now but I had done quite a bit of work. The map was finished, and almost all of the setup triggers (cover included). All I had left to do was the waves and the quests and some unit stats and names. But I began working on Angoville and stopped it.

Maybe you could use some ideas from it and make the player a secondary squad helping the AI.
CptIronMike
posted 05-18-09 03:52 PM EDT (US)     4 / 13       
Looking at all of these sidequests, maybe we should actually make a large, epic map. I was thinking a semi-fictional map on Operation Downfall (Codename for the proposed Allied invasion of Japan). You could rescue Canadian pilots, snipe suicidal japanese civilians to protect your wounded comrades, blow up a bridge, etc. Does this map sound like it should be 100x100, 200x200 or more than that. (Scale suggestions, plz)

jocamar
posted 05-18-09 04:22 PM EDT (US)     5 / 13       
Don't really know, maybe large or with some skill you could clump up all those in a medium sized map assuming the player would have more than one secondary quest on the same place.
CptIronMike
posted 05-18-09 08:13 PM EDT (US)     6 / 13       
sounds like a maybe 170x170 could maybe work if the planning's good. I was thinking maybe we could make it so that you could play as British or Americans and maybe Australians. Each could have separate missions and bonuses. Ex:

US gets to call in fire support from battleships (I know Jocamar did this w/angoville, maybe he could explain that) or planes

UK gets minesweepers (ambiphibous tanks that automatically kill any mines that are near)

Australians would be tough (what civ should they be?): maybe self-propelled artillery

jocamar
posted 05-19-09 05:57 AM EDT (US)     7 / 13       
Don't know much about what the aussies had in the war but maybe recon planes that could reveal the map or as you said self propelled artillery.
CptIronMike
posted 05-19-09 03:44 PM EDT (US)     8 / 13       
Ok cool. We should probably use french for Japanese like in the Epilogue for the patton campaign:

Infanterie (France): Rifleman
Mortar Infantry (Germany): Knee Mortar
FT-17 (US): Ka-chi Light Tank
Yakolov fighter (Russia): Zero fighter (Kamikaze) - {Also there is a mod for a FW-190 to Zero fighter transformation}
French Anti-Tank gun (what is its name?): Japanese artillery

We can use revolutionaries as suicide bombers and other peasants as civilian fighters. Also checkout the wikipedia article on operation downfall - its pretty good. Sound good?

jocamar
posted 05-20-09 09:04 AM EDT (US)     9 / 13       
OK.
I have exams now so can't devote much time to designing a scenario right now but I can help you with triggers and ideas. Oh and the mod won't work because whomever downloaded the scen would have to have the mod to see the textures.

[This message has been edited by jocamar (edited 05-20-2009 @ 09:06 AM).]

CptIronMike
posted 05-23-09 11:55 AM EDT (US)     10 / 13       
Ok I have finals too so I won't be able to do a lot of work either right now

jocamar
posted 05-24-09 07:41 AM EDT (US)     11 / 13       
Download section is a little bit dead, what happened to the others that where making scenarios?
CptIronMike
posted 05-25-09 09:34 AM EDT (US)     12 / 13       
Probably ran out of steam. That happens a lot once you realize how much work out have to put into a scen to make it good. Happened to me all the time. :-(

GoSailing
EEH Seraph
posted 05-25-09 02:04 PM EDT (US)     13 / 13       
The vast majority of scenarios get about half way done and then are not completed. After the initial work, people seem to get bored with one idea and start moving onto another and don't complete that as they move onto another and so forth. Its unfortunate but fairly common.

"It seems to me the humour of Sails is so dry you could strike a match on it and it would be the humour that caught fire." - Friend of Old
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Empires Heaven | HeavenGames