Moderated by GoSailing

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.11 replies
Empires Heaven » Forums » Scenario Design Discussions » 1948 Arab-Israeli War
Bottom
Topic Subject:1948 Arab-Israeli War
The Crazy Person
posted 01-06-09 03:23 PM EDT (US)         
Hello again. Its been a long time, but I am glad to see that this heaven has been reinstated. I recently had the urge to hop back into Empires and have jumped into the editor. Hopefully my project will gain some interest.

1948 Arab-Israeli War

The year is 1948. Israel has just declared Independence under the blessing of the United Nations. Outraged, the Arab League launches a full scale war on the infant nation. Take command of the Israeli Defense Forces and hold off against the combined attacks of Egypt, Lebenon, Syria, Iraq and Saudi Arabia.

This will be a full map of Israel including parts it's neighboring states. Using a "reinforcement" style system, you will be able to call up more soldiers to fight and more equipment shipped in from the United States and Britain.

Each nation will have four primary units. Israel depends on strong infantry, Egypt will focus on artillery bombardment and the rest of the Arab League will focus mainly on overwhelming numbers. Units are listed as such:

Israeli Forces:
IDF Infantry
Machine Gunner Team
IDF M4 Sherman Tank
IDF Sergeant

Egyptian Forces:
Egyptian Infantry
Mortar Infantry
Mark IV Tank
Heavy Artillery

Arab Liberation Army Forces:
Arab Infantry
T-34 Tank
38mm Anti-Tank Cannons
Suicide Bomber

I'll have some screens soon. Hopefully you all like the idea. I'm trying to prove a theory: They never put Israel in a video game because they'd always win.

Generalissimo TCP | FREE SYRIA!
Xaph's Forumer of the Year '08, Best Thread and Most likely to be sigged, '08
"I think George W. Bush is closer to being the single greatest president in US history" - Merai
AuthorReplies:
The Crazy Person
posted 01-06-09 03:29 PM EDT (US)     1 / 11       
Also, I haven't quite made it work out yet, but if possible I'm going to add in the ability to launch airstrikes. (i.e., you select the target but do not have control over the planes)

"I think George W. Bush is closer to being the single greatest president in US history" - Merai
Hank
Stainless Steel Studios
posted 01-06-09 10:15 PM EDT (US)     2 / 11       
This is possible! I've done a similar thing before.

You'll need to make a player specifically for the airstrikes, not AI controlled or useable by the player (but allied to the player and enemy to the AI).

What I did was made the player type in something when they had the desired target selected. Then you make a trigger that references a "selected" object spec by P1, then tasks the fighters/bombers to the selected target. The fighter/bombers you use will also need to be an object spec.

I think the problem is if you do it twice in a row, the trigger may try and reference aircraft already tasked to a target, throwing off your previous attack run.
The Crazy Person
posted 01-06-09 11:32 PM EDT (US)     3 / 11       
So then if I applied a timer to it... say, you can only call an airstrike every 5 minutes, then that would eliminate the problem of a fighter that already has a target.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

Rotaretilbo
(id: Brandon Rebuga)
posted 01-07-09 00:31 AM EDT (US)     4 / 11       
Yes, that would potentially eliminate the problem of redirecting airstrikes already en route. I can't wait to see how this scenario plays out.

"Also, I'm no clearer on what WIFOM is really, although I gather it's something to do with Thymole being gay..." -Sassenach
"I don't lie in my claims and I don't intend to." -WeeMicky
"OH MY GOD A DINOSAUR" -Peter Fallon
jocamar
posted 01-07-09 10:46 AM EDT (US)     5 / 11       
One question, I am creating a ww2 map in the days after the d day invasion and I wanted to know if you could do this without the airplanes being on the map (for example creating the via triggers and making the disappear after the attack.
I donīt think its possible but if any of you knows a way please inform me.

PS: Oh and is there a way to make so that tanks receive more damage when being hit from behind or infantry receive more damage when they re being hit from the side opposite to the one the have cover in (DIRECTIONAL COVER).
The Crazy Person
posted 01-09-09 04:44 AM EDT (US)     6 / 11       
Well, the good news is I made the airstrikes viable. An airstrike may only be called every 5 minutes, the bombers have been given a significant speed boost to make sure they get to and from their target in a swift amount of time. The airstrike is triggered via chat message.

Works pretty good against those hordes of arab soldiers.

CptIronMike
posted 01-10-09 09:31 AM EDT (US)     7 / 11       
Sounds awesome - I can't wait to download it!
Hank
Stainless Steel Studios
posted 01-12-09 11:53 PM EDT (US)     8 / 11       
Hey CP, sounds like you got it working, nice! Sounds like it should be a fun scenario. I did a reinforcement-type system with the first US campaign mission where troops would automatically land at the beach after you lost enough of your current units, but you could only get some many reinforcements before you lost. Is this similar to what you're doing? I'm interested to hear.

Jocamar, I don't think there is a way to do directional damage. The best thing I was able to do was designate certain areas as "cover", and giving units in those areas bonuses to their attack. I tried changing their hitpoints but I think I had a problem adjusting their HP on the fly, especially if they were actively taking damage when I did it. I did this in a civil war scenario to give bonuses to troops behind fences, in "The Sunken Road", etc.

Can't remember off-hand too well, but I believe you need a trigger that constantly checks for Object Spec'd units that are in a pre-made Area or not. This way when they leave the area their attack goes back to normal. It's easy to say, "IF x unit is in y area, increase attack", but then you need to be able to reference those same units when they're NOT in that area anymore. I probably added a variable number to do this but can't remember.
Talknight2
posted 02-17-09 03:04 PM EDT (US)     9 / 11       
Is this still on?
I'm interested in what other people know of our War of Independance.

Administrator of the Empire Creations design team.
Check out our website: www.freewebs.com/empirecreationsteam/
We're looking for fresh talent. If you can design, join us and prosper!
The Crazy Person
posted 02-21-09 05:16 AM EDT (US)     10 / 11       
Its still on. Granted in the game you (Israel) will be significantly handicapped compared to their historical military power, but this is in the interest of creating balance and a challenge to the player.

I've been doing my research on the conflict and can hopefully create a historically relevant but fun scenario.

Talknight2
posted 02-21-09 07:24 AM EDT (US)     11 / 11       
Carry on then.
Nice to see there's still scenarios in the making.

Administrator of the Empire Creations design team.
Check out our website: www.freewebs.com/empirecreationsteam/
We're looking for fresh talent. If you can design, join us and prosper!
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Empires Heaven | HeavenGames