Moderated by GoSailing

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.8 replies, Sticky
Empires Heaven » Forums » Scenario Design Discussions » New Review System
Bottom
Topic Subject:New Review System
Intrepid
posted 01-27-06 03:58 PM EDT (US)         
I am in the process of currently implementing a new review system. As you may or may not have already noticed the campaign, single player and multiplayer sections here at Empires Heaven now have a decimal based reviewing system. This means that it will now be easier to convey exact grades.

I am also in the process of updating the review guideline section. Expect a new set of more comprehensive guidelines to be uploaded shortly.

AuthorReplies:
mitch1971
posted 01-27-06 05:35 PM EDT (US)     1 / 8       
excellenta!

I know I'm going to get shot for this, but will it include a cinimatic guide line!

Talon Karrde
posted 01-28-06 01:04 AM EDT (US)     2 / 8       
awesome

Bah.
Rotaretilbo
(id: Brandon Rebuga)
posted 01-28-06 01:38 AM EDT (US)     3 / 8       
1337! Maybe now we can worry less about reveiws that should be removed for pointlessness.

"Also, I'm no clearer on what WIFOM is really, although I gather it's something to do with Thymole being gay..." -Sassenach
"I don't lie in my claims and I don't intend to." -WeeMicky
"OH MY GOD A DINOSAUR" -Peter Fallon
Talon Karrde
posted 01-28-06 02:28 AM EDT (US)     4 / 8       
because all those types of reviewers will be scared to death of the new things they see

Bah.
mitch1971
posted 01-28-06 02:49 AM EDT (US)     5 / 8       
Forget about the cinimatic guidelines I asked about I've just read the present ones, they really need doing. Forgive me whoever wrote them but they are quite amusing and annoying.

One of many a lines:

'If there is no story or instructions, the score is easy... it's a 1.' WHAT!

Here's my story: You're in a war deal with it.

instructions: err...Oh, I don't know, shoot a german?

Do I get a 2. err 0.2 more like

There is really no encouragement in those guidelines for anyone to go above and beyond the basics to get a decent if not higher mark.

Take this : A random map is a 3. All a designer needs to do to score a 3 is to use a generated random map.

Again no encouragement. The guy who may not be great at designing spends time trying with more effort, yet because of his weakness in design he gets a lower score for not just hitting the random button. Or according to the guide lines a 'pathetic' map.

There is so many negative words in that guide that any new designer would be put off by it's negativity to the subject of design. 2 out of the 5 points, balance etc, start by telling us how subjective or difficult rating is. But isn't this the whole point of a guide. To explain them.

Glad they are being reviewed.

mitch

[This message has been edited by mitch1971 (edited 01-28-2006 @ 02:54 AM).]

CenturionZ_1
posted 01-28-06 02:21 PM EDT (US)     6 / 8       
Yeah, an unaltered random map should score the same as a blank map. That's my main quibble.

My other quibble is the ultra systematic scoring system. Give the reviewer some room to be subjective about his score, because isn't that what a human reviewer is supposed to do?

CenturionZ_1
HG Angel
AoEH Staff

'In heaven an angel is nobody in particular.' - George Bernard Shaw
Age of Empires Heaven Agetoons About Me
Intrepid
posted 01-28-06 02:21 PM EDT (US)     7 / 8       
The new guidelines have already been written, they just have to be slightly retailored for Empires.

If you have any suggestions as to what should be in the new guidelines I am willing to revise them. I will take any suggest made into consideration, but just because something has been posted does not mean that I will necessarily implement it in the review guidelines.

mitch1971
posted 01-28-06 09:18 PM EDT (US)     8 / 8       
cheers for that intrepid, I have a few things in mind. It's good to know you will at least look at them. Give us a few days.

'Yeah, an unaltered random map should score the same as a blank map. That's my main quibble.' - exactly.

[This message has been edited by mitch1971 (edited 01-28-2006 @ 09:19 PM).]

You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Empires Heaven | HeavenGames