Moderated by GoSailing

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.1 reply, Closed
Empires Heaven » Forums » General and Strategy Discussions » Criminal minds
Bottom
Topic Subject:Criminal minds
ann1985
posted 07-28-09 03:02 AM EDT (US)         
I used to love CSI:NY Seasons 1-5 DVD Boxset , simply because I find criminals and murder mysteries fascinating. However, there was always something off about Criminal Minds DVD , and when CSI Miami Seasons 1-7 DVD Boxset began airing I finally figured it out. First of all, I can only name two characters from CSI:NY Seasons 1-5 DVD Boxset and CSI Miami Seasons 1-7 DVD Boxset , and they are the main characters. Grisham is a hearing-impaired genius, and Horatio is just a genius. Sound like bad writing? Can't blame me. On CSI:NY Seasons 1-5 DVD Boxset , produced by the ever-predictable Jerry Bruckheimer, characters mean almost nothing. It is all about the forensics, so you only get short glimpses of character development. Every twist relies on one idea: crime scene investigators are not only geniuses but they read every obscure book in existence, and you the viewer are pretty dull and unlearned in comparison. It makes for entertaining television at times, because murder mysteries are naturally exciting, but when you boil it down to the elements it fails, not because of the actors, but because of lazy, pretentious writing. I have said it before and I will say it again: Horatio taking off his sunglasses during a bland one-liner is an extremely cheap and lazy way to heighten drama. Wow that was a big paragraph of irrelevance. Anyway, Criminal Minds DVD isn't perfect, but Criminal Minds DVD is lightyears beyond CSI:NY Seasons 1-5 DVD Boxset . The writers know how to balance cases with characters, though I personally would still like a little bit more character development, I think they do an amazing balancing act. Instead of an entire staff of super-human geniuses, the BAU consists of normal intelligent cops with actual emotions and histories. Spencer Reed is the exception. He is a prodigious genius, but this is addressed in a realistic way unlike CSI:NY Seasons 1-5 DVD Boxset . We learn that he was bullied in school, he struggled with the isolation caused by his IQ, and most of his life was spent trying to take care of his mentally ill mother. We know he is smarter than us, but the circumstances allow us to accept that he is very much human. As much as I love character-based drama, the cases are what make this show special. After all, serial killers are more fascinating than one-time murderers and criminal psychology is (in my humble opinion) far more interesting than forensics. I like all the characters on this show! Reed is my favorite, but Prentiss, Derek, Gideon, JJ, Hotchner, and Rossi all have interesting backstories and each play an important role in solving the cases. Actually, to my surprise, Derek is one of my favorites. He is the young, muscular male (not usually a well written role) but he too admits he has issues you wouldn't expect from the average jock. Not to mention Shemar Moore is perfect for the role. As a young man, I also have to add that I love JJ and Prentiss for reasons that have nothing to do with writing or directing. They are gorgeous women whose charm grows on me, but they are not too young or pretty to be believable. There are better crime dramas out there, and there will be in the future, but I don't see any being as entertaining while following the CSI:NY Seasons 1-5 DVD Boxset formula.
AuthorReplies:
GoSailing
EEH Seraph
posted 07-28-09 01:46 PM EDT (US)     1 / 1       
Oh how I hate advertising.

"It seems to me the humour of Sails is so dry you could strike a match on it and it would be the humour that caught fire." - Friend of Old
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Empires Heaven | HeavenGames