You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

General and Strategy Discussions
Moderated by GoSailing

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.16 replies
Empires Heaven » Forums » General and Strategy Discussions » Resolution question
Bottom
Topic Subject:Resolution question
Propy
posted 02-16-09 01:25 PM EDT (US)         
hi, I don't know if this is the right area for this question. But since technical forum is closed I will ask it anyway.

Is there a way to play the game in 1280x1024?
AuthorReplies:
Creeps_1
posted 02-17-09 09:29 PM EDT (US)     1 / 16       
Yup, go to options
Propy
posted 02-18-09 05:13 AM EDT (US)     2 / 16       
aha...I didn't find that option in the demo. But since I don't have the full game yet I will have to wait and see...

(I have bought it, its in the mail, I hope.)
Talknight2
posted 02-18-09 09:49 AM EDT (US)     3 / 16       
The highest resolution in the options is 1280 x 960 or something like that.
My screen is 1280 x 1024 and I'm playing the game on 1024 x 768.
Looks fine enough.

Administrator of the Empire Creations design team.
Check out our website: www.freewebs.com/empirecreationsteam/
We're looking for fresh talent. If you can design, join us and prosper!
GoSailing
EEH Seraph
posted 02-18-09 09:57 AM EDT (US)     4 / 16       
Its a fairly old game so I believe Talknight is correct. It can't get to 1280x1024 but 1024x768 looks acceptable. Obviously its not as pretty as it could otherwise be, but I don't think theres a solution for that.

"It seems to me the humour of Sails is so dry you could strike a match on it and it would be the humour that caught fire." - Friend of Old
Propy
posted 02-19-09 11:33 AM EDT (US)     5 / 16       
ok, but I'm running it in 1280x960. that looks alright, but running it in 1024x768 is way to blurry...I suggest you to turn it up to 1280. It looks better that way...

btw, where is the screenshots saved?

...and do you know if there is som sort of .ini file?
Talknight2
posted 02-19-09 02:07 PM EDT (US)     6 / 16       
If I play on 1280 x 960 it'll be squeezed because my screen is 1280 x 1024.

GoSailing
EEH Seraph
posted 02-19-09 06:11 PM EDT (US)     7 / 16       
1280x960 is a widescreen resolution and it looks weird on regular 4:3 aspect ratio monitors. If you like it or have a widescreen then theres nothing wrong with that, though.

I'm not sure about the screenshot location since I take my screenshots via xfire, but my guess is they would be in "My Documents/Activision/Empires/Screenshots/..."

"It seems to me the humour of Sails is so dry you could strike a match on it and it would be the humour that caught fire." - Friend of Old

[This message has been edited by GoSailing (edited 02-19-2009 @ 06:13 PM).]

Propy
posted 02-20-09 05:40 AM EDT (US)     8 / 16       
didn't find a empires folder in my activision folder. but I can live without it...

about the 1280x960 res, its the same as 1024x768, both are 1.33. and they both look blurry on 5:4 screen as mine are...

but again I can live without the 5:4 res...

I have another question but it doesn't fit this topic so I will post a new
GoSailing
EEH Seraph
posted 02-20-09 05:29 PM EDT (US)     9 / 16       
If they aren't in My Documents then a Screenshot folder is probably created in the program files when you take your first screenshot. That folder doesn't exist for me since I haven't taken any through Empires itself but essentially every game puts screenshots in a folder in the Program Files or in My Documents.

Talknight2
posted 02-20-09 08:29 PM EDT (US)     10 / 16       
Empires and Empire Earth store screenshots in the game's folder.
So check wherever you installed it.

Propy
posted 02-22-09 03:59 AM EDT (US)     11 / 16       
I remember that EE saved the screenshots that way so I did check the folder. I did it again, but the only pic there is the load screen...it is the print screen button I should use, right?!
Talknight2
posted 02-22-09 11:13 AM EDT (US)     12 / 16       
No.
It's F8 or F10, probably F8, though I can't remember clearly.

The print screen button is used to copy a screenshot onto an open PowerPoint window or maybe Paint too. Dunno any other uses for it.

Rotaretilbo
(id: Brandon Rebuga)
posted 02-22-09 11:34 PM EDT (US)     13 / 16       
Prt Scr is like hitting copy for your screen. You can then paste it into Paint, Word, PowerPoint, etc.

"Also, I'm no clearer on what WIFOM is really, although I gather it's something to do with Thymole being gay..." -Sassenach
"I don't lie in my claims and I don't intend to." -WeeMicky
"OH MY GOD A DINOSAUR" -Peter Fallon
Propy
posted 02-23-09 04:23 AM EDT (US)     14 / 16       
I will try F8 next time, I think F10 is for the menu...

but the manual says that print screen takes screenshots...sloppy if thats wrong
danschel
posted 10-13-09 07:57 AM EDT (US)     15 / 16       
Hi,

I don't have those resolutions in the Options menu. The best I can do is 1024 x 768, but my graphic card and screen can do more. Is there a possibility to set a larger or custom (per ini file) resolution?

Thanks in advance
danschel

[This message has been edited by danschel (edited 10-13-2009 @ 08:01 AM).]

GoSailing
EEH Seraph
posted 10-13-09 09:59 AM EDT (US)     16 / 16       
I actually just thought of something I do for a different game to up the resolution beyond its native. This is from a guide to change the resolution in Battlefield 2142, a completely different game. The command you change is, I believe, a windows command, so it should still theoretically work. I make no promises, however, and I have no tested it on anything other than the game it was written for.
Setting A Custom Resolution

Since the lack of a range of resolutions is one of the most common complaints about BF2142, I'll spell out the solution again here. It involves using the +szx and +szy command line options (covered in the Advanced Tweaking section). For example to set a resolution of 1280x1024, go to your BF2142 launch icon, right-click on it and select Properties. Then in the Target box put a single blank space after the last character and insert +szx 1280 +szy 1024, substituting any other number for the 1280 width and 1024 height respectively to suit your needs. The end result should look something like this:

"C:\Program Files\Electronic Arts\Battlefield 2142\BF2142.exe" +menu 1 +fullscreen 1 +szx 1280 +szy 1024

Now each time you launch the game it will run in the custom resolution specified, however note firstly that you must make sure your monitor can support this resolution, and secondly the Display Mode setting under the in-game Video Settings will not show the correct new resolution, not that this is a problem. Unlike Battlefield 2, editing the Video.con file does not work in properly setting a custom resolution, so this is the recommended method for doing so.

You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Empires Heaven | HeavenGames