You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

General and Strategy Discussions
Moderated by GoSailing

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.5 replies
Empires Heaven » Forums » General and Strategy Discussions » Is UK a balanced civilization?
Bottom
Topic Subject:Is UK a balanced civilization?
Garrick_3658
posted 11-04-06 12:50 PM EDT (US)         
As a matter of fact, I am a UK player. However, I saw that I could hardly win any matches against other civilizations. In WWI it isn't so bad, but in WWII I could hardly have a victory. My enemies scorned me, my allies shunned me, and I feel very negative and inferior about my own civilization.

AA flak guns were not given to UK. Only those damn mines which people won't be so silly to go over them without noticing.

SAS Operatives would be easily cut down due to low health, although high attack, especially by MG42s. Before I could demolish something.

Tommies are second last of the primary infantry of all civilization. Thrashed always.

Crusader II Tanks, the weakest tanks ever. At least B1-bis Tank still has Bulldoze to thrash infantry. Amphibious Tanks are almost defenseless against anything, though their Phosphurous Shot is quite strong.

Howitzers are weaker than the USA ones. They lose almost immediately to artillery.

Commandoes could raid only. Although having Speed Charge, USA Rangers have charge and Artillery Barrage.

C-47 Dakotas could only paratroop Tommies, unlike C-47 Skytrains which could drop tanks and howitzers.

Medics are so vulnerable to attacks and could only cast Healing one at a time that an ambulance would serve better. Medics, although could perform Battlefield Surgery, would mostly, at my point of view, be so engrossed in Healing that they would not notice a corpse. Only useful when massed. Unlike Ambulances, recharging Power, at the same time, could heal and charge an entire army at once, including mechanical units.

Perhaps the best of UK is it's navy, only useful for water maps. Accompanied by a submarine, the HMS King George V Flagship could rule the entire water area, with sufficient support, of course.

I believe the Secret Agents are the best of scouting. To be able to scout from the safety of the base. Discovering enemy patterns could help in producing suitable counters to deal with them effectively.

Labor Unions, automatically constructs buildings after citizens initiation. This could result in a citizen creating a whole base quickly.

Mining Camps save on citizens' migration after the mine is cleared. Most of the time, it is a hassle to get the citizens from the cleared mine to get a new mine.

Food Warehouses provide a slow, unlimited source of food.

UK could capture siege equipments, but such situation is very rare. Hardly anyone would leave their siege undefended to UK, unless they are so unfamiliar to other civilizations.

The Lancaster Bombers are also one of the strongest bombers. But most of the time it gets shot down easily.

Last but not least, the APC. The APC could carry infantry to support expansions in times of need. The most useful land transport ever.

However, UK, faced with so many disadvantages, could not make up with its scarce advantages.

Perhaps I was still a newb. But I would really appreciate logical and sensible comments to the idea. Maybe with some tips to help all UK players improve on their skills. Thank you.

[This message has been edited by Garrick_3658 (edited 11-06-2006 @ 01:57 AM).]

AuthorReplies:
Rotaretilbo
(id: Brandon Rebuga)
posted 11-04-06 02:32 PM EDT (US)     1 / 5       
As a Germany player, I love having a UK ally. If the UK player can defend me long enough for my to stabilize the pathetic eco I start with, then my V2 rockets can be very useful if the UK has Trafalgar.

"Also, I'm no clearer on what WIFOM is really, although I gather it's something to do with Thymole being gay..." -Sassenach
"I don't lie in my claims and I don't intend to." -WeeMicky
"OH MY GOD A DINOSAUR" -Peter Fallon
Garrick_3658
posted 11-05-06 07:29 AM EDT (US)     2 / 5       
I understand the might of Germany in the late game, and I too, would prefer Germany as an ally more than an enemy; UK is almost defenseless and helpless to Germany in the late game. Even in the early game, Neuer Soldats would crush all my Tommies.

King Tiger Tanks could also thrash all my infantry and mechanical equipments due to its mighty strength and invincible armour, with a Sergeant as accompany to detect commandoes.

[This message has been edited by Garrick_3658 (edited 11-06-2006 @ 01:58 AM).]

RTEHistDesign
posted 11-05-06 12:32 PM EDT (US)     3 / 5       

Quote:

King Tiger Tanks could also thrash all my infantry and mechanical equipments due to its mighty strength and invincible armour

King Tigers can be dealt with easily by massed UK or USA AT's, and AT's are cheap! The trick to beating Germany with UK in WW2 is to build plenty of Seige cannons as well as Lancasters, with a few Amphibious Tanks thrown in. Building traditional tanks will not do since German Mortar gas in combination with German Antitanks guns would prove devasting to UK. Seige cannons own the German mortar/AT combo.

UK is a defensive Civilization. If you do not get to them early, their automatic economical advantages will make any other civ pay in the end.

In WW1-2 action settings it is good to have a good UK partner because he can focus on building up his eco and military without having to micro his citizens. UK also has the ability to tribute gold or food as needed if he is protected long enough. If UK has a good partner like USA that builds up enough wood reserves (since USA is a heavy tank and infantry civ which requires gold and food) the USA player can tribute wood back to UK for even more production. Just my two cents.

[This message has been edited by RTEHistDesign (edited 11-05-2006 @ 12:33 PM).]

Garrick_3658
posted 11-06-06 02:18 AM EDT (US)     4 / 5       

Quoted from RTEHistDesign:

King Tigers can be dealt with easily by massed UK or USA AT's, and AT's are cheap! The trick to beating Germany with UK in WW2 is to build plenty of Seige cannons as well as Lancasters, with a few Amphibious Tanks thrown in. Building traditional tanks will not do since German Mortar gas in combination with German Antitanks guns would prove devasting to UK. Seige cannons own the German mortar/AT combo.

This technique is greatly appreciated. I will try this out as soon as possible.

Thank you for encouraging my confidence in using UK as a civilization by giving positive comments of how to use UK well. I am gaining knowledge of how to use UK infantry and mechanical units against other civilizations' units.

elder_king
posted 11-09-06 07:00 PM EDT (US)     5 / 5       
The trick with the UK is NOT to use the same orthodox method of play that the other civilizations use. For example, a well known player and buddy of mine from Empires, Falcon907, developed some incredibly powerful UK tactics:

-Against the common German mortar/AT combo: load APC's with infantry and unload them right into the center of the mortar/AT's.
-APC's can also be used for hit and run raids using their speed to drop off infantry at an enemy resource location, and then drive away.
-To counter a normal early-game French formation of infantry and smokers, drive through the smoke with the APC's (which take little damage from enemy infantry) and unload the infantry right in the middle of the French units. Or let the APC's recieve the smoke grenades, then move out of the smoke and drop off the infantry(which will not be smoked due to previously being inside the APC's)

Quote:

UK is a defensive Civilization. If you do not get to them early, their automatic economical advantages will make any other civ pay in the end.

This is completely true EXCEPT AGAINST RUSSIA. Russia will overwhelmingly overpower your economy if you try to defend instead of raiding. Some tactics Falcon907 used, mentioned above, can be useful for raiding weak Russian villagers to prevent their economy from outmatching yours.

You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Empires Heaven | HeavenGames