You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

General and Strategy Discussions
Moderated by GoSailing

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.31 replies
Empires Heaven » Forums » General and Strategy Discussions » hooked on the frenchy
Bottom
Topic Subject:hooked on the frenchy
« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
ganfan
posted 08-29-06 07:11 AM EDT (US)         
I have just completly got hooked on the frenche and i think most of their power lies in the classified projject if you get to ww2 then build a wonder you can get classied projets and just send a lone plane to open fog off war and you are set for the day of building burning and lend lease gives you your deffensive units

current work:
Field player.
Allied assault.
Lost nuke.
Go Leafs Go
AuthorReplies:
Rotaretilbo
(id: Brandon Rebuga)
posted 08-29-06 06:18 PM EDT (US)     1 / 31       

Quote:

Resist the devil and he will flee from you

The evil ones' power lies also in the fact that they can have units for an easy rush very early.

"Also, I'm no clearer on what WIFOM is really, although I gather it's something to do with Thymole being gay..." -Sassenach
"I don't lie in my claims and I don't intend to." -WeeMicky
"OH MY GOD A DINOSAUR" -Peter Fallon

[This message has been edited by Brandon Rebuga (edited 08-29-2006 @ 06:21 PM).]

ganfan
posted 08-30-06 11:19 AM EDT (US)     2 / 31       
yes but 5 frenche cant bet 2 german
+ town center

current work:
Field player.
Allied assault.
Lost nuke.
Go Leafs Go
Rotaretilbo
posted 08-30-06 03:21 PM EDT (US)     3 / 31       
Hence my point.

"Also, I'm no clearer on what WIFOM is really, although I gather it's something to do with Thymole being gay..." -Sassenach
ganfan
posted 08-31-06 06:59 AM EDT (US)     4 / 31       
to say hence my point would it not be 5 french can beat 2 germans...
-----
but i stated 5 frenche -cant- beat...
-----

current work:
Field player.
Allied assault.
Lost nuke.
Go Leafs Go
Rotaretilbo
posted 08-31-06 07:28 PM EDT (US)     5 / 31       
I misread your post.

The French are like Zerg from Starcraft. Their troops are weaker, and meant to be massed against the enemy. Besides, the French don't need to wait for 5 soldier and allow a German to get 2 Soldats. The French need only get one soldier and attack the German eco right off. 1 Frenchy>German villies. The French revolve around hit an run eco attack tactics. They can run through forests, bypass defenses, and hit the eco. However, get em in a fair fight and the Germans pwn.

Falcon907
posted 08-31-06 08:28 PM EDT (US)     6 / 31       
brandon, wouldnt russia be more of a matchup for the zergs?

Imperial age sucks
World war auto setts pwn
I rest my case
CenturionZ_1
posted 09-01-06 09:58 AM EDT (US)     7 / 31       
The French are the annoying civ. Essentially most of their units are there to harass and basically wind up the opposition.

You have the Saboteur, stealthy but utterly deadly (more destructive than a V2 rocket or a B-52 if done correctly). Motorcycle Raiders, which are the hit and run unit in the game, ability to hide in a forest of heal etc.

Russia aren't really the massed production civ in the game because their tank, the T-34 is the best tank in the game (the King Tiger is way too expensive and takes too much damage from AT guns to justify its 800 gold price tag) and the SU57 AT Halftrak is the best AT unit in the game. So although they can field a load of useless Conscript fodder, their armoured units are deadly.

Also unlike Germany, France can pump out its first units quickly. So what 5 Infanteries get owned by 2 Neuer Soldats? France gets free infantry with every building it loses, nearly every plane and vehicle...not to mention its ability to turn a whole host of citizens into infantry. By the time Germany gets one 1 soldat, France could have 3-4 infanterie.

France is just annoying if someone knows what they're doing with their classified projects. Arson and Embargo really annoying, and so are the Night Operations (that is if they were saved over from the Franks).

CenturionZ_1
HG Angel
AoEH Staff

'In heaven an angel is nobody in particular.' - George Bernard Shaw
Age of Empires Heaven Agetoons About Me
elder_king
posted 09-01-06 11:00 AM EDT (US)     8 / 31       

Quote:

Motorcycle Raiders, which are the hit and run unit in the game, ability to hide in a forest of heal etc.

They ARE the hit and run unit of the game, but they cannot hide in forests :/

Quote:

Russia aren't really the massed production civ in the game because their tank, the T-34 is the best tank in the game (the King Tiger is way too expensive and takes too much damage from AT guns to justify its 800 gold price tag)

The King Tiger is still the best tank in the game. In fact it is the most dominant land unit in the game by far. It can easily slaughter all other types of tanks that are built in mass to add up to the cost of one KT. It also does better against all other units than other tanks do.

edit: I just finished doing some tests in the editor, and the results were surprising:

The Russian halftrack is NOT the best AT unit in the game. The UK ordnance pdr is the best by far. The United States AT gun is better than the halftrack as well.

The King Tiger destroys all other tanks when their prices add up to the same value, and the King Tiger fares better than any other tanks against AT guns. Plus, as the French are the perfect example of, it is not always about army to army, so keep in mind the KT's extra speed that could give it good micromanagement abilities.

Quote:

So what 5 Infanteries get owned by 2 Neuer Soldats?

I think we are talking about ww1 beginning game, where the French would have "poilu" and the Germans "soldats". It is important not to lose 5 poilu to 2 soldats. That would just be miserable micro.

[This message has been edited by elder_king (edited 09-01-2006 @ 11:10 AM).]

Rotaretilbo
posted 09-02-06 01:57 AM EDT (US)     9 / 31       
Russia is another aexample of a Zerg type civ. However, France is the civ we're talking about, though we are talking about Russia too now.

Falcon907
posted 09-04-06 00:59 AM EDT (US)     10 / 31       
elder kings point of the uk at being best in the game is something i argued alot too, since it has much more attack power than the halftrack and only 50 less hp

dont rely on what the strategy guide tells u

the halftrack is a good unit however because i think its faster than other at guns

Imperial age sucks
World war auto setts pwn
I rest my case
ganfan
posted 09-04-06 07:16 AM EDT (US)     11 / 31       
Yes the uk at is better for attack and 50hp points but it is not a unite that works well with the uk for it uses to much wood maybe at the end off the game were food warehouses replace villi and all on wood but you cant get a at out faster than a tank.

current work:
Field player.
Allied assault.
Lost nuke.
Go Leafs Go
elder_king
posted 09-04-06 02:17 PM EDT (US)     12 / 31       
You could easily get an AT out faster than a tank.

Another advantage is the UK has great AT in the first world war also, when Russia has the worst.

France has good AT but motorcycles with smoke work just fine.

[This message has been edited by elder_king (edited 09-04-2006 @ 02:18 PM).]

CenturionZ_1
posted 09-10-06 03:57 PM EDT (US)     13 / 31       
UK also has a decent infantry unit with enough longevity to seriously micromanage.

Shame it just doesn't have a devastating nuclear type weapon.

CenturionZ_1
HG Angel
AoEH Staff

RTEHistDesign
posted 09-10-06 10:50 PM EDT (US)     14 / 31       
Russia is the best civ by far for players who like ww1 auto setts. Their ability to mass units with their returned unit cost for destroyed units is incredible. If a really good Russian player goes up against an equally talented France player it will be difficult for the France player to win. France can attempt a proxy, however if the Russian player can get his first conscript out in or around 3 minutes he can micro his way out of that potential threat. The only other way for France to win is to get an armory up quickly and get smoke to counter the obvious A/C rush that most Russian players attempt. The other civs don't have much of a chance against Russia in a ww1 matchup IMO.

Of course there are always those players that defy the odds and win with Germany or UK against a Russian player. But in those situations most of the time it is because the Russian player is not as experienced as his opponent.

Get these dam Imp noobs out of my Game!

Empires Scenarios The Greenhill Project v1&2
Empires Nick: Random_Civ_Here

elder_king
posted 09-10-06 10:58 PM EDT (US)     15 / 31       
I love your signature RTE.

Other than frax, France's only chance against Russia in a ww1 1v1 auto setting match is "the blob". A few of each: Poilus, grenadiers, anti air, anti tank and motorcycles. With continuous smoke and good micromanagement, it can defeat all threats until the opponent builds a large enough army to destroy it.

Germany stands no chance against Russia. USA must macromanage economy and army and continuously defend Russian attacks for a long time... and still have little chance.

But France has a chance against Russia.

GoSailing
EEH Seraph
posted 09-10-06 11:50 PM EDT (US)     16 / 31       
I don't like his signiture I am an Imp player, but Im not a noob... Well I probably am after a 3.5 month break, but I wasnt before.

BTW: I wasnt a noob who got addicted to Imp only like 6 months ago when it started being all people played, I started probably about 2.5-3 years ago.

"It seems to me the humour of Sails is so dry you could strike a match on it and it would be the humour that caught fire." - Friend of Old
RTEHistDesign
posted 09-11-06 00:49 AM EDT (US)     17 / 31       

Quote:

I don't like his signiture I am an Imp player, but Im not a noob

Don't take offense, its all in fun.

elder_king
posted 09-11-06 01:42 AM EDT (US)     18 / 31       
GoSailing, you are not an "imp noob".

We are referring to the no-skill all England players who can't adapt, can't change strats, can't micro, etc. you get the picture.

Same build up every game. At 50 F11 they commence a massive attack, if you can call it an attack the way their armies clump up in the middle.

YaRiTe
posted 09-11-06 02:05 AM EDT (US)     19 / 31       
Wild mountain thunder, echos my quest, given away my technique.j/k

Matthew 5:11
GoSailing
EEH Seraph
posted 09-11-06 09:06 PM EDT (US)     20 / 31       
Lol OK. England is my worst and most hated Civ. It is boring as hell IMO. Korea is better, China is more fun and Franks have better micro (with healing). Even worse than a general england player is the noobs who only make infantry and drummers, and have like 3 barracks the whole game... LMAO they are lame.

"It seems to me the humour of Sails is so dry you could strike a match on it and it would be the humour that caught fire." - Friend of Old
CenturionZ_1
posted 09-14-06 02:41 PM EDT (US)     21 / 31       
England is the only quibble I have with this game. It seems like SSSI were just aiming that civ at lazy players who want to play on auto-pilot.

CenturionZ_1
HG Angel
AoEH Staff

Rotaretilbo
posted 09-14-06 05:54 PM EDT (US)     22 / 31       
Any good RTS game has a very easy civ to play that can be beaten by players using other civs that are more skilled. In Starcraft, the Terran are probably the simplest civ, but Zerg or Protoss have a lot of pros once you understand the system. The problem with Empires is that the idea is to learn the basics on England or UK, then move to a more complex civ, but people are not moving on.

GoSailing
EEH Seraph
posted 09-15-06 00:16 AM EDT (US)     23 / 31       
BINGO! That is the giant problem. England is for noobs, and that is why all lame ass players who only use it for its boring and simple rush suck... Even if they beat a China player... Woohoo they used a rush a player playing for a week could use to beat a slow civ! I think it makes them feel special.

Rotaretilbo
posted 09-15-06 06:08 PM EDT (US)     24 / 31       
England is geared for newbs, but when a player stays with it he becomes a noob. To solve this problem, I think the other 3 civs ought have been made a bit stronger than England, making it an easy civ to run but a weak civ in the outcome. I think they did better in WW1-WW2, where the UK is more of an underdog civ that is easy to manage.

CenturionZ_1
posted 09-15-06 06:08 PM EDT (US)     25 / 31       
Just played a game where obviously the opponents were both noobs using England.

Imp, EB settings. Naturally they'd walled in and towered. Shame they forgot Grenadiers walk through forests.

I had a full farm, a full gold mine, 6 hunters and 10 woodies and 1 tower at my base. Nothing else.

Forward built barracks, 10 grenadiers, walked through the gaping hole, took out his citizens. One resigned.

Same story with the other.

They then proceed to call me cheats until I remind them Franks' units can walk through forests.

*sigh*

CenturionZ_1
HG Angel
AoEH Staff

« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Empires Heaven | HeavenGames