You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Scenario Design Discussions
Moderated by GoSailing

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.3 replies
Empires Heaven » Forums » Scenario Design Discussions » Mentoring?
Bottom
Topic Subject:Mentoring?
CptIronMike
posted 12-19-08 06:23 PM EDT (US)         
Is there any system in place in which experienced players would mentor more novice designers? if not, I think that it would more and better scenarios to be produced, because from what I'm reading, many players don't use the scenario editor (or use it well) simply because they don't understand it.

Its just an idea but feedback would be helpful.
AuthorReplies:
Hank
Stainless Steel Studios
posted 12-20-08 03:46 PM EDT (US)     1 / 3       
I think a long time ago someone here suggested the ability for "multiplayer" scenario design, where two or more people could be in the editor at once, all seeing what the main designer is doing. Completely impossible of course, but it would have been good!

Without the mentoring though, your best bet (and I say "you" and "your" in general terms) is to start with the basics and expand from that. Figure out how a basic trigger works and get units to move from Point A to Point B. Do another that creates new units in an area, then how to reference these new units in another trigger.

When I first started designing for EE I decided on a small, contained scenario to do (and to practice with). I figured out the main objective for the player, then filled it in as I went along. Instead of thinking what I was capable of doing, editor-wise, I thought of things I *wanted* to do in the scenario.

I'd do everything I could on my own and when I got to something I couldn't figure out, asked in the forum how it was done. I still remember to this day what it was...I wanted a pair of AI trucks that I had tasked down a road to stop when their life was below a certain %, and have enemy troops appear outside of them to simulate soldiers jumping out from the back to fight you. I had no clue how this was done because I hadn't grasped the Object tab well enough yet.

I say start working on what you want, with the main goal in mind, and as you get stumped ask the forum here and slowly you'll wrap your head around how it all works. And once you do, everything will sort of fall into place and be easier.
Kor
Busschof Happertesch
(id: Derfel Cadarn)
posted 12-21-08 01:58 PM EDT (US)     2 / 3       
It will also help to play as many other scenarios and campaigns as you can, to see what is possible. And if you play separate scenarios (not wrapped in campaign format) you can open them up and check the triggering, although this can still be highly confusing because every designer has his unique way of laying out triggers.

P.S. Hi Hank, good to see you!

Kor | The Age of Chivalry is upon us!
Wellent ich gugk, so hindert mich / köstlicher ziere sinder,
Der ich e pflag, da für ich sich / Neur kelber, gaiss, böck, rinder,
Und knospot leut, swarz, hässeleich, / Vast rüssig gen dem winder;
Die geben müt als sackwein vich. / Vor angst slach ich mein kinder
Offt hin hinder.
Rotaretilbo
(id: Brandon Rebuga)
posted 12-21-08 02:01 PM EDT (US)     3 / 3       
Psh, multiplayer editing is still possible. We just haven't gotten around to making it work yet. And by we, I mean CS, because God knows he knows thrice what I do about all that stuffz.

"Also, I'm no clearer on what WIFOM is really, although I gather it's something to do with Thymole being gay..." -Sassenach
"I don't lie in my claims and I don't intend to." -WeeMicky
"OH MY GOD A DINOSAUR" -Peter Fallon
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Empires Heaven | HeavenGames